Thursday, September 12, 2013

What My Weeks in Ghana Meant to Me: Final Reflections


Caroline Berger
My journey this summer in Ghana was the most life-changing experience of my life. I’ve learned to value what, to us, seem like the simple things.  The students in Ghana work crowded around a few desks sitting in broken chairs, working with few supplies, and zero help from technology.  Day in and day out, I was simply amazed at the work ethic of these students.

Tears stream down my face as I find myself dreaming of my Ghanaian kindergarten classes and wishing for their bright, cheerful faces with souls full of love and innocence to surround me again. A simple page turn of a new book or the making of an art project brought so much joy to their faces and their thoughts of school.  I’ve never witnessed that kind of instant joy.  I’d give anything to sing “Jesus Loves Me” one more time with them, hold their hands all at one time with a child on each finger, play a hand-game at recess and share a bright, tooth-filled smile one more time. I will forever miss the beautiful people of Ghana. I will forever be touched by the impact they have made on my life.  As I reminisce about those 3 ½ weeks, I know that Ghana will hold a place in my heart until the end of time. I will return because Ghana is home.

Liz Fraser 
Tears came to my eyes at one point while teaching in Ghana this summer.  I saw a young girl solving a math problem by writing on her desk and a young boy solving the problem on his hand. They were not doing this because they were too lazy to pull any paper out. These students did not have any paper to write on; but instead of complaining or deciding not to participate, their eagerness to learn led them to do their work on whatever was in front of them: their desks or even their own bodies.

This was my third trip to Ghana, and the passion for learning I have seen in these students in spite of their lack of material resources never ceases to amaze me. The children I encountered on this trip have taught me more than I could have ever taught them.

Robert Fraser 
What is this place I live in? This no longer feels like home. This is the life I used to live, and somehow I’m back again in America. What a backwards place. We live to work but hate our jobs. We eat for pleasure but wonder why we’re fat. We spend money we don’t have and then wonder why we’re broke.

Ghana is a place I could live. The people of Ghana give what Americans seem to always be out of—time and compassion. Ghanaians work to live, eat to sustain, and spend to save. Yet, they always make time to welcome a new face, give to a friend in need, worship with sincerity, and rest peacefully. There are simply no words that fully explain Ghana and its people. Words will never do justice to this place; but visit Ghana and you will be taught how to live.

Amanda Hobson 
Every trip to Ghana is special and that was exceptionally true this summer.  Over the past 8 years I have gone to Ghana 4 times.  I remember the feeling of excitement, wonder, and fear of the unknown when I traveled there for the first time in 2005. This trip I was able to watch those same feelings in the eyes of my former Education 324 university students. It was wonderful to be able to listen as they discussed new cultural experiences and to watch them grow as future educators. One of my favorite parts of our 3 1/2 week journey was helping our team continuously plan and prepare for the eager students that waited each day at Tuwohofo-Holly International School and St. Cyprian's Basic School.

The most moving part of my trip was stepping off of the tro-tro and seeing the familiar faces of children I have watched grow up over the years.  Students that I taught when they were in Class 1 at age 6 are now 14 years old and standing taller than me.  The students have grown into the young people I always knew that they would be and I am blessed to know them.  People ask why I keep going back.  My answer is always because part of my heart is there.  

Shaye Holmes 
I have never felt so welcome by people who had no idea who I really was. I have never talked to someone for five minutes and have them remember my name three weeks later. I have never met people who had such contagious smiles and such an optimistic outlook on life. In my opinion, Ghanaians truly are phenomenal individuals! I will remember the people of Ghana for the rest of my life and they will forever hold a very special place in my heart.

My trip to Ghana gave me the opportunity to meet new friends, experience a new culture, and see a different way of life. However, most of all, Ghana helped me form a new perspective for my own life. I learned that life is too short to be unhappy, to complain, and to be pessimistic. I learned that life is about the small things, about helping those around you, and about smiling. Being in Ghana truly humbled me, possibly teaching me more about myself than about Ghana and its people. Ghana taught me who I really want to be and how to be that person!

Phoebe Leslie 
Reflecting on the trip to Ghana slightly breaks my heart because I still dream of being in Ghana teaching my kids, going to markets, beaches and museums. I catch myself slipping out of reality and into my memories of Ghana. Going to Ghana changed my life more than I could have ever imagined. On our first day, when we were welcomed by all of the students I just wanted to cry from all of the joy. I have never seen so many people so happy to see a group of college students and teachers. I felt at home; like I never wanted to leave.

I catch myself speaking with a Ghanaian accent and enunciating my “t’s” like I did so my students could understand me. This trip taught me how to teach. I now know that teaching is what I want to do and what I need to be doing. I know that God has big things in store for me outside of America. I know that I am called to teach abroad. I don’t know where yet, but I still have a lot of time to figure it out. I long for the days when I will be back in Ghana. Mark my words, I WILL BE BACK.
  
Ben Qualkinbush 
There is so much that this amazing country and its people taught me that has truly changed my life forever. The weeks of teaching those wonderful students did nothing but reassure me that I have made the right decision to pursue a career in teaching. Growing up as an athlete and playing baseball throughout college, I always had the newest cleats, the top bat, and the best glove. To play soccer with these barefoot kids every day on rocky dirt ground was the most heart-wrenching thing I have ever experienced. I will never again take for granted the nice equipment our children in America have the luxury of playing with.

I will never forget the images implanted in my mind. I will never forget the joy in students’ faces when they figured out what we were teaching them; the joy in their faces playing a sport that they love; and the joy in their faces as they reached out and grabbed hold of my arm, my hand, or even my finger. Words cannot describe the impact Ghana has had on my life forever.

Molly Perry
Everyone tells you that when you go to Ghana you will be forever changed.  What kind of change?  When is it going to happen?  Will it be drastic? How will I know?  These thoughts were constantly running through my head. I kept watching, waiting for something to change in me, a life-altering moment that would occur.  But it didn’t.  That just wouldn’t be the way Ghana would have it. 

The change occurs in the peace you feel walking down a crowded dirty street.  It lies in the ability to receive a hug from a child you just met and desiring for them to hold your hand the entire day.  The change occurs as you realize that even a drink of water is a blessing. 

As I came back to America, I felt proud to be an American and enjoy all the liberties and gifts we can so easily obtain.  But I also felt ashamed.  Ashamed of myself for all the complaining I do about miniscule problems in the grand scheme of life.  Ghana did change my life because it changed my view point.  Most importantly, it allowed me to see what a great Creator we serve.  No matter where we are from or where we are currently living, He cares for each of His children.



Caroline Sealey 
My weeks in Ghana meant a life-changing experience for me. The people of Ghana taught me three simple things: love freely, give generously, and live simply. The people we met along our journey meant the most to me because I learned so much just by watching and talking with them. Some have hardly anything to their name except a very simple roof over their head; but I didn’t hear a single complaint while we were there. This fact really spoke to me and made me realize how hopeless complaining really is. All it does is weigh us down when we could be so much happier if we just accepted the blessings we have been given.

Courtney Threatt
My 3 ½ weeks in Ghana meant learning and experiencing more in 3 ½ weeks than I ever could in years here. I learned that kids will be kids no matter where they live. I learned that if I can teach in a classroom of 30 kindergarteners who speak minimal English, with rough concrete floors and a painted-on chalkboard, then I can probably teach almost anywhere. I realized that the same Jesus who died to save MY soul, died to save THEIR souls and that serving people, loving on them, and worshiping God transcends any language barrier.

I realized that sacrificing yourself for others should not be some great task. I experienced divine appointments and children who stole my heart in a split second with a soft-spoken, almost whispered, “I love you.” I learned that 3 ½ weeks can change you more than you ever imagined. My 3 ½ weeks in Ghana meant having my heart rocked, experiencing God’s love stronger than ever before, and my life being changed for the better forever.

Marlee Tollison 
Prof’s words echo in my mind when I reflect back on my three and a half weeks in Ghana. "Didn't know Ghana could do this to you, did you?" The answer is, “No, I did not.” I did not know that a country and its people could make its way to the deepest part of my heart in such a short time. God’s love transcends all things: language barriers, sickness, discomfort, and our own fears.

I want to hide the images of their faces in the depths of my heart. I want their laughs to ring out in times of silence, and the touch of their hands in mine to remain forever. I did not know that God would use this country to restore my soul and let me feel just a small glimpse of the amount of love God has for His children. But like Prof always says, "After all, this is Ghana." 

Chastity White
Africa, one of the seven continents that I learned about in school, now means so much more to me than I could have ever guessed. My four trips to Ghana have changed me; I will never be the same. As a teacher, this experience has given me invaluable opportunities to grow. Teaching with a painted-on chalkboard, open window frames, goats running around, and children crammed onto tiny benches with little to no materials has forced me to come up with creative ways to engage the students without all the luxuries I enjoy in my American classroom. 

Our trip to Ghana this summer proved to be a major turning point for me. My passion for teaching was reignited and I saw a clear picture of what God wants me to do with the talents He has given me. While visiting Calvary Assemblies of God Church I was invited to share a brief message with the congregation. I spoke about the lesson God taught me during this trip: He has given us time, talents, and treasures. We must use these to bring him glory so that one day when we are held responsible we can share how we used what He gave us.  ("You are a manager of the gifts God has given to you. They may be great or small in your eyes, but they matter to God. Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful." 1 Corinthians 4:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment